Local Task Forces
What is the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21's Local Right to Education Task Force?
Local Task Forces (LTFs) were formed more than twenty years ago as a result of the PARC consent decree, to represent the needs and interests of students with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. Today, most LTFs have expanded their efforts to include all students with disabilities.
The majority of Local Task Force members are consumers and parents of children with disabilities. In addition to parents and consumers, each LTF must have representatives from the local IU, the local MH/MR office, the local ARC, and area school districts. LTFs operate in the same geographical areas as the associated Intermediate Unit.
LTFs are actively involved with programs and services for students with disabilities in all 501 school districts across the state, and follow procedures outlined in the handbook developed by the State Task Force.
Task Force Duties and Responsibilities
- To identify and clarify problems
- To direct recommendations of necessary changes to the appropriate source/department
- To advocate for school-age individuals
- To cooperate with public/private direct service provider agencies in planning programs and services
- To continuously monitor local education systems for compliance with the PARC consent decree
- To train new members and serve as a vehicle for educating the community
- To make recommendations for improving, strengthening, expanding, and monitoring programs and services for students with disabilities
The Local Task Force 21 is comprised of families, the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21, advocates, school districts and service providers. We come together to share knowledge, discuss rights and develop an appropriate education for the student with special needs. We want to empower families to gain insight, build connections with others and help become the voice for those in their lives with special needs. The journey is long, full of opportunity, and having a good team in place makes all the difference.
Wednesday 1/19/22 10am - 12pm Wednesday 2/23/22 10am - 12pm Wednesday 3/23/22 10am - 12pm Wednesday 4/20/22 10am - 12pm Wednesday 5/18/22 10am - 12pm