CLIU 21 HS/MS Regional Media and Design Competition (formerly Computer Fair)
The Pennsylvania Media and Design Competition is an annual event that highlight Pennsylvania school students' application skills and computer knowledge. Students are able to unleash their creativity, learn how to convey information more dynamically, and enhance the learning process.
When & Where - 2020 Information
Date: 3/11/20 (Snow Make-up Date: 3/12/20)
Location: Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC) Schnecksville, PA
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Rules, Categories, & Scoring
*A Media and Design Competition participation packet MUST be completed for all projects!
Other important rules:
- All hardware and software will be provided by the student or school district for the state competition.
- Internet connections will be provided at the State competition.
- Each project must have its own computer, if one is required for that category. No projects will share a single computer at the state competition.
- Each project may bring only one computer.
- At the competition, students must provide a power strip for their computer. Extension cords will be provided.
- The logo and graphic design category will not be allowed to bring a computer or have access to electric at the state fair. Students must use a computer to develop their project, but only the end product and a descriptive narrative of the project development will be displayed.
- 3D graphics must be in print form to be eligible.
- Digital movie projects may bring a single computer and monitor.
- Displays and monitors must not exceed 24 inches.
- Space will be assigned and limited to 3 square feet per project.
- Narrative descriptions are required for all projects in all categories. They must be detailed to provide judges with information to fairly judge the project.
Specific Regional Rules
Entries will be limited to two projects per category per school totaling no more than 12 projects per school.
Students may work individually or in groups but each group must designate a captain as spokesperson for the project. Groups may consist of no more than three students.
Live internet connections are not guaranteed at the regional level.
All entries must designate a faculty member or sponsor. All communication will go through that person. The faculty member or sponsor must accompany students to the regional and state competitions.
There will be no entrance fee charged to either the school district or student to participate.
Narrative descriptions are required for all projects; the narrative description/project summary is now included in the PA Media and Design Competition Participation Packet. If the narrative is not provided, the project will be disqualified. Narratives must be detailed enough to provide the judges with any information to fairly judge the project. Attach additional pages if necessary.
The Pennsylvania Computer Fair, although educational, removes the student work from the classroom and therefore requires the student to get permission from the owner to use any copyrighted music, video, graphics, etc. Fair use does NOT apply. Remember to credit music or items that were created by yourself or friends as well.
Display boards or other items that are included with, but not part of, the project may not contain copyrighted material. Display boards are not judged for appearance, however, they will be inspected and can cause the project to be disqualified if copyrighted material is found.
The Copyright Signoff form, Project Narrative/Summary, and Photo Release form must be combined into one file for your convenience (Computer Fair Participation Packet). This completed packet MUST accompany every project. Click here to download.
First, second, and third place winners in each category at each level (MS/HS) will receive trophies. All participants will receive a participation certificate. First place winners will advance to the PA Media and Design Competition held at Dickinson College in May!
2020 State Competition
State High School Media and Design Competition at Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA - Tuesday, May 19
State Middle School Media and Design Competition at Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA - Wednesday, May 20
For more information
Contact Diahann Ouly, Curriculum & Instruction/Educational Technologies
(610)769-4111 ext. 1297 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration opening soon!
Registration opening soon!